Rangemoor in Clayfield: Architectural Jewel Sets New Sales Benchmark

Iconic Robin Dods Queenslander Sold by Place
Photo Credit: Website/Place New Farm

Did you know that Rangemoor, a heritage-listed Robin Dods Queenslander, which represents a significant era in Clayfield’s architectural history, was recently sold for a remarkable sum of money? This transaction has not only set a new record for the suburb but has also caught the attention of locals and architectural enthusiasts alike.



In a carefully managed Top Offer campaign, Rangemoor was sold for an undisclosed amount after 30 days of intensive market activity.




This architectural masterpiece located at 165 Adelaide Street East, Clayfield was first built in 1907 and shows the influence of Brisbane’s first builder in its strong roofline, large verandas, and intricate woodwork.

Photo Credit: Website/Place New Farm

The house attracted huge bidder interest due to its prime location on one of Clayfield’s most recognized streets, its large block, and Brisbane’s architectural legacy.

The property’s deep historical roots and family-friendly atmosphere resonated with potential buyers, who were also drawn to the large grounds where kids could play.

Photo Credit: Website/Place New Farm

The house was designed to blend in. A central courtyard and single-level plan allow natural airflow and light into the apartments. When you enter, the formal and informal living areas blend smoothly. Beautiful French doors, 11-foot ceilings, and leadlight windows enhance the rooms.

Photo Credit: Website/Place New Farm

Sydney landscape designer Myles Baldwin’s 2018 plans for Rangemoor’s east and back gardens enhance the private suites’ luxury.

A young family looking for a legacy and home purchased Rangemoor. They value good schools and a safe environment for their children.

History of Rangemoor

In the late 19th century, John William Huggins Grout, initially a stockbroker in Brisbane, later became a prominent figure in the Queensland militia before moving to Dalby in 1900. He played a crucial role in forming the Dalby Company of the Queensland Mounted Infantry. Mr Grout returned to Brisbane in 1902, taking up various roles, including Vice-Consul for Spain.

During the early 1900s, Clayfield, along with its neighboring suburbs, emerged as prestigious addresses for the city’s elite families. In 1907, Mr Grout’s wife, Winifred, purchased an acre of land on Adelaide Street, where the renowned architectural firm Hall and Dods created “Rangemoor.”

Photo Credit: BCC

The Arts and Crafts and Art Nouveau movements had an impact on Mr Dods, an architect who improved Queensland’s traditional house design. His works in Clayfield/Ascot area include Lyndhurst and Turrawan, also known as the Clayfield House.

After Mr Grout died in 1918, the property changed hands, eventually being owned by Dr. Charles August Thelander, who chaired the controversial 1935-37 Royal Commission. Mr Thelander lived at Rangemoor until he died in 1959.



Over time, the property underwent alterations, including additions and subdivisions. Despite changes, much of Mr Dods’ original design remains, making Rangemoor a significant part of Adelaide Street East’s historical landscape.

Published Date 27-March-2024